Since Microsoft published IE8 as a Windows Update and my boss said he upgraded to it, I figured it was safe to upgrade to it as well.  I’ve been enjoying the changes for a couple days now, but when I attempted to debug an ASP.NET application with Visual Studio 2005, it would no longer stop at a breakpoint.  Pretty frustrating if you ask me.  I’ve found a few articles online describing problems, most of which I haven’t encountered yet.  You may want to implement all these workarounds.

The problem I was having appears to be related to how IE8 uses multiple processes.  Apparently VS 2005 doesn’t know which process to attach to.  Here are three solutions:

  1. Don’t have IE8 running at the time you want to debug.  This worked for me.
  2. Modify the registry as described in the second link above.  This worked for me as well.  Here are the steps:
    1. Open RegEdit
    2. Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> Microsoft -> Internet Explorer -> Main
    3. Add a DWORD value called TabProcGrowth with a value of 0
    4. Turn off protected mode browsing in IE (Security page of Internet Options) if you are running on Vista or newer.
  3. Uninstall IE8 to revert back to IE7.  I don’t really want to do this though.  I’ve grown particularly fond of a few of the new features in IE8, such as previous session restore (although I wish it would allow me to restore more than just the last session) and improvements in search.

I don’t know if this is a problem with VS 2008, but some of the articles seem to imply it only applies to VS 2005.  Maybe it’s time to upgrade Visual Studio :-)